Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Quail eggs in 'sambal' (chilli paste)


These quail eggs are just soooo pretty don't you think? I was rinsing these cute little things when I noticed the unique pattern on each egg. You can't find 2 eggs with a similar pattern and I find it rather intriguing especially when I was cupping about 20 eggs in my two hands. It's hard to describe in words, so go get yourself some quail eggs and you will know what I mean!=)

Anyhoo, I was preparing Nasi Lemak (Rice with Coconut milk). For those who are not familiar with this dish, Nasi Lemak is traditionally served in banana leaves, with the sambal ikan bilis (anchovies in chilli paste), cucumber and a small fried fish (which I can't recall the name at this point of time) but this is my version, with whatever ingredients I have in my kitchen. Tastes good but urm, forgot to take the picture of the rice!heheheheh...




Recipe

1. 20 quail eggs
2. 10-13 pieces of dried chilli (soaked in a bowl of boiling water)
3. 10 pieces of shallots
4. 4 pieces of garlic
5. a pinch of salt to taste
6. 2 teaspoons of sugar
7. 30g of dried small prawns or dried anchovies (halved and cleaned)
8. 4 tablespoons of cooking oil

Method

Sambal

1. Boil the quail eggs and peel the shell off
2.. Blend the chillies, shallots, garlic n prawns/anchovies until it becomes a paste
3. Heat up the oil and then fry the paste continually for 5 minutes
4. Add in the eggs, sugar and salt and stir fry for another 3 minutes
5. Ready to serve

Rice (serves 1)

1. Rinse a cup of rice
2. Cook the rice in half cup coconut milk + 3/4 cup water

*** You can serve the rice with slices of cucumber, fried chicken wings and crispy, fried anchovies if you wish


No comments:

Post a Comment